Open Source RexDB® is composed of four core software modules and a powerful navigational query language: RexPlatform, RexAcquire, RexCentral, RexMart, and RexQL™. An overview of these components is depicted below.
Source code for RexDB is publicly available on bitbucket: www.bitbucket.org/prometheus/rexdb.
A toolkit for quickly setting up and extending RexDB
RexPlatform is a toolkit that enables the installation of all necessary software for hosting, building and extending a RexDB instance. It contains a thin data-access layer called RexQL and tools used to deploy database schemas, conduct ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) operations, and rapidly build screen interfaces.
Rapid and accurate data entry by staff and research subjects.
A lightweight, easily configurable data entry system. RexAquire lets you:
- Easily configure forms for entry by research subjects (self-administered questionnaires) or dual-entry by staff.
- Track the progress of data entry for all assessments.
- Maintain different versions of the same assessment.
- Quickly configure assessments using repeating groups, skip-and-set, and disable logic.
- Annotate null or missing values.
- Integrate other EDC tools with RexDB.
Clean your data. Manage your studies.
An extensible and compact data collection hub that can accept, transform and merge data from RexAcquire and a plethora of external data sources, including data feeds, legacy systems and ad hoc flat files (CSV, Excel, etc). A set of reporting tools that allows users to review the data being collected in RexCentral, run an assortment of custom data quality reports and apply corrections before the data is included in the final data set. RexCentral lets you:
- Easily transform data from RexAcquire into new data models.
- Safely migrate legacy data using customized tools.
- Access wizards to manage new studies, subjects, and assets.
- Configure new instrument screens.
- Efficiently link to “unsearchable” data such as large files.
- Schedule and manage the recruitment of study participants.
- Quickly browse data using generic search tools.
- Access wizards to help you configure sophisticated metadata.
- Design custom data quality checks and reports.
- Manage single-visit or multi-site longitudinal studies.
Explore, Visualize, and Securely Share your data.
A data exploration system that allows users to quickly create custom data sets. RexMart includes powerful querying tools for distinctly different classes of users. RexMart lets you:
- Tag data sets and data release workflows for version control.
- Build custom cohorts from characterization variables and easily select bio-materials for further study.
- Save and reuse custom cohorts.
- Easily designate which instruments to include in a data set.
- Perform powerful full-text searches to identify variables of interest across the entire database.
- Finely control access to your data and leverage pre-built approval processes.
- Access the entire database using the robust open-source query language, RexQL.
- Transform derived data using powerful and reproducible ELT processes.
- Perform univariate statistics to generate cross tabs and execute preliminary analysis.
Robust, open-source navigational query language for data analysts.
A user-friendly relational database query language for exploring rich heterogeneous data over the web. RexQL lets you:
- Easily write and share database queries via the web for complex ad-hoc reporting
- Wrap your database with a web service layer, translating HTTP requests into SQL and returning results as HTML, JSON, XML, and other standard outputs
- Quickly uptrain data analysts and “accidental programmers” to fulfill traditionally complex data query tasks
- Develop auditable data transformation pipelines for ETL purposes
- Access an entire suite of query syntax for free (download our RexQL User Manual for reference)